Wigan Housing Benefit

Wigan Council



Housing Benefit is available to people on a low income who are renting their homes to help them to afford to pay the rent.

You cannot apply for Housing Benefit if you are receiving Universal Credit, unless you reside in supported accommodation or temporary accommodation.

If you have applied to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) for Universal Credit, and are liable to pay Council Tax at the property you live in, you will also need to apply to the council for Council Tax Reduction.


Available In
  • Wigan
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Help with accommodation or my tenancy
  • Information on government/council support schemes
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

To apply for Housing Benefit you must:

  • Normally live at the property you are applying for
  • Be liable to pay rent for the property
  • Either be entitled to:
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (Income based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income related)
  • Pension Credit
  • or have a low income.

People with over £16,000 in savings will not normally qualify for any benefit.

You cannot claim Housing Benefit:

  • For a property let on a lease of more than 21 years except for shared or co-ownership schemes, if you are the owner-occupier; or if you are a tenant in a property owned by the Crown.

Similar Schemes