Wigan Discretionary Housing Payments

Wigan Council



The Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) scheme can give you limited short term help paying your rent.

It is a short term emergency payment until you can find alternative housing – normally no longer than three months. It should not be considered as a permanent solution to a shortfall in your Housing Benefit (HB) or Universal Credit (UC) award.


Available In
  • Wigan
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Help with accommodation or my tenancy
  • Information on government/council support schemes
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

Before we can give you a DHP

  • You can only apply if you already receive Housing Benefit (HB) or Universal Credit (UC)
  • You must require additional help with your housing costs i.e. have a shortfall between your rent and benefit entitlement
  • You must have already spoken with your housing provider about your rent payments
  • The council must have sufficient funds available to cover the cost of your DHP.

You cannot use it for:

  • Ineligible service charges for HB
  • Increases in rent due to outstanding rent arrears
  • Sanctions and reductions in benefit
  • Council Tax support through the local Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Similar Schemes