The Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) scheme can give you limited short term help paying your rent.
It is a short term emergency payment until you can find alternative housing – normally no longer than three months. It should not be considered as a permanent solution to a shortfall in your Housing Benefit (HB) or Universal Credit (UC) award.
- Available In
- Available to Age Groups
- No Restriction
- What we can help with
- Help with accommodation or my tenancy
- Information on government/council support schemes
- Available to these Groups
- All Groups
Before we can give you a DHP
- You can only apply if you already receive Housing Benefit (HB) or Universal Credit (UC)
- You must require additional help with your housing costs i.e. have a shortfall between your rent and benefit entitlement
- You must have already spoken with your housing provider about your rent payments
- The council must have sufficient funds available to cover the cost of your DHP.
You cannot use it for:
- Ineligible service charges for HB
- Increases in rent due to outstanding rent arrears
- Sanctions and reductions in benefit
- Council Tax support through the local Council Tax Reduction Scheme.