Universal Credit

Hyndburn Council



Universal credit is part of the Government’s Welfare Reform. It is a new benefit that is replacing 6 existing benefits with a single monthly payment if you are out of work or on a low income.


Available In
  • Hyndburn
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Information on government/council support schemes

Additional Information

Universal credit is paid differently from current benefits. It will be paid once a month, usually into your bank or building society account.

If you live with your partner and both claim Universal Credit you will receive a single payment that covers you both.

Any help you get with your rent will be included with your Universal Credit payment and you will then need to pay your landlord yourself.

There are no limits to the number of hours you can work a week if you receive Universal Credit. Your payment will reduce gradually as you earn more and you will not lose all your benefits at once if you are on a low income.

Universal Credit is replacing –

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Similar Schemes