Trafford Student Benefits

Trafford Council



Housing Benefit is typically not available to most full-time students as the government assumes they can utilise other sources of funds, such as grants, student loans, or access funds, to cover their rent expenses.

The term "student" refers to an individual enrolled in an educational program. Generally, full-time students in higher education are ineligible for Housing Benefit.


Available In
  • Trafford
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Information on government/council support schemes
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

You may be eligible to make a claim if you:

• Are enrolled as a part-time student

• Are a student responsible for a child or young person (as part of a couple or on your own)

• Are a single foster parent

• Are aged 60 or over

• Receive Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

• Fulfill the requirements for the Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium (these are allowances used to calculate benefits for individuals meeting specific conditions)

• Have been unable to work for a minimum of 28 weeks due to illness or disability

• Qualify for a disabled student's allowance due to being deaf

• Are under 19 and not in higher education

• Have a partner who is not a student (they should make the claim)

• Need to interrupt your course, with the approval of your college or university, because of illness or caring responsibilities.

If you're uncertain about your eligibility, feel free to reach out to us for guidance.

Similar Schemes