Single Person Council Tax Discounts

Chorley Council



Your Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a property. You may be able to get a 25% discount off your council tax bill if:

  • you live on your own
  • the other people in your household are under 18 or not counted for Council Tax.


Available In
  • Chorley
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Information on government/council support schemes

Additional Information

The property must be occupied by only one adult resident over 18 and it must also be that individual's sole or main residence. The definition of an individual's sole or main residence for council tax purposes is not sufficiently defined within council tax legislation.

You can claim a 25% discount if you are the only adult living in the property or if all but one resident adult are:

Full time students, student nurses, apprentices, people on youth training schemes

Spouses of overseas students

People whose main home is a hospital, care home, hospice, hostel or night shelter

Severely mentally impaired

18 or 19 year olds who are at or have just left school

Care workers on low pay living with the person receiving care

People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18

Members of visiting forces and some international institutions

Members of religious communities - each person must have no income except an occupational pension or personal capital

People in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine)

People with disabilities - you may be entitled to a reduction if your property has been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled resident. 

Similar Schemes