Salford Welfare Rights and Debt Advice Service

Salford City Council



We are available to aid you in determining your eligible benefits and tax credits, offer support with claim forms, and advocate on your behalf in the event of an appeal. In situations involving debt issues, we can assist you in creating financial statements, engaging in negotiations with your creditors, and representing you in court proceedings if necessary.


Available In
  • Salford
What we can help with
  • Help and advice about money and debt issues
  • Information on government/council support schemes
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

Since 1990, Salford City Council has operated a Debt Advice Service. We provide specialised, confidential, and free guidance, as well as case management and representation, for residents and workers within Salford. We are equipped to assist in the following areas:

  • Handling multiple debts.
  • Addressing complex single or high-priority debts.
  • Representing you in court proceedings related to possession or eviction due to mortgage or rent arrears, along with enforcing other debts.

Furthermore, we offer support for debt solutions like insolvency. Most of our debt advisers are accredited as Approved Intermediaries, authorised to handle applications for Debt Relief Orders.

Our debt advisers can access the Breathing Space scheme, affording legal protection against most debt enforcement for 60 days (or longer for those undergoing mental health crisis treatment). We can also submit applications on your behalf where appropriate.

While we excel at addressing intricate debt matters, if you are facing a simpler problem such as a single debt, require assistance with Debt Management Plans for non-priority debts, or need general budget management support, you may find better assistance from services like National Debtline or Step Change.

We impartially advise on debt enforcement related to amounts owed to Salford City Council, such as Council Tax. For inquiries or modifications to your Council Tax account, direct contact with the Council Tax department is necessary.

To self-refer or refer someone else for debt advice, you can reach us by phone or submit an enquiry/referral via our website. If you are a professional referring someone, feel free to consult our advice line for guidance before submitting a referral.

For telephone inquiries about debt advice or representation, you can contact our debt advice line at 0800 345 7323. This service operates on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1 pm to 4 pm, and on Fridays from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm (excluding Bank Holidays). Unfortunately, voicemails cannot be left outside these hours. Alternatively, you can use our online referral form to self-refer or refer someone for welfare rights and/or debt advice or representation. Please ensure you have all the necessary personal details if completing the form on behalf of another person.

Similar Schemes