Anyone with rent responsibilities can apply for support with their housing costs, provided their savings do not exceed £16,000 (unless you're over 16 and receive Pension Credit - Guaranteed Credit, Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance - income-based, or live on a low income).
- Available In
- Available to Age Groups
- No Restriction
- What we can help with
- Information on government/council support schemes
- Available to these Groups
- All Groups
You might be eligible for Housing Benefit under the following circumstances:
- You work either full or part-time and earn a low wage.
- You receive Employment and Support Allowance or other contribution-based state benefits.
- You receive Income Support or other income-based benefits like Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance or the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit.
- You are retired and have a modest income.
It's likely, you won't meet the criteria for Housing Benefit if:
- Your savings exceed £16,000.
- You are a student, unless you are disabled or have dependent children.
- You pay rent to reside with a close relative.