Rochdale Discretionary Council Tax Support

Rochdale Council



Discretionary Housing Payments are payments that the Council may be able to make to give you further assistance towards your housing costs.

To qualify for Discretionary Housing Payments you must be in receipt of Housing Benefit or the Housing element of Universal Credit and require further assistance in order to meet your housing costs.


Available In
  • Rochdale
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Information on government/council support schemes
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

We can award Discretionary Council Tax Support where:

  • Your circumstances are so difficult that you can’t pay your Council Tax and you have cut back on your spending as much as you can.
  • You have sudden but necessary extra expenses which will make it difficult for you to pay your Council Tax. For example, if you have had a flood or fire or your home has structural damage and you aren’t covered by insurance.
  • The recovery action taken to collect the Council Tax you owe would mean that your family’s wellbeing would be affected. For example if we are going to start court proceedings that will result in a bankruptcy order that might mean you lose your home.

To get Discretionary Council Tax Support you must:

  • Already be getting Council Tax Support.
  • Not have any other way to pay your Council Tax, for example you don’t own anything that you could sell.
  • Have already been in contact with our Council Tax team to discuss what you owe and have tried to make payments in the past.

Similar Schemes