Households receiving Pension Credit and struggling to make water bill payments can apply to have their bills capped at an affordable amount based on income and outgoings.
- Available to Age Groups
- Over 60
- What we can help with
- Bank & utility company support schemes
- Available to these Groups
The ‘Help to Pay’ scheme is aimed at United Utilities customers.
For customers in receipt of Pension credit we can cap their annual bills at a more affordable amount based on their income.
There are two levels of charge that can be applied which are based on:
• If the qualifying Pension Credit recipient is the only adult living at the premises, the tier one Help to Pay charge will apply.
• For other households with a qualifying Pension Credit recipient, the tier two help to pay charge will apply. The customer can apply to have their water bills capped at an affordable amount if they receive Pension Credit and all other adults living in the home receive Pension Credit or state pension.
Customers accepted on to the scheme will have their annual bill capped at a set amount. For 2023/24 this would be:
- £270.00 if the qualifying person is the only adult living at the property
- £384.00 if the qualifying person is not the only adult living at the property
If applying part way through the year then the discount will be prorated.
To be eligible customers must:
- be in receipt of Pension Credit (either Pension Guarantee Credit or Pension Savings Credit) and all other adults living in the home receive Pension Credit or state pension;
- occupy the premises as their only home;
- meet our affordability criteria, which will include us looking at all possible ways of reducing the customer’s charges
- complete an affordability assessment
Apply by calling 0800 072 6765 or by completing our application form. It is important that customers provide this information to allow us to determine eligibility otherwise the application will be unsuccessful.