Discretionary Housing Payments

Trafford Council



Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are available to supplement your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Element when it falls short of covering your entire rent.

It's important to note that DHPs cannot be provided to offset expenses already included in your rent, such as fuel, water, or food charges.

Similarly, Discretionary Council Tax Support payments (DCTSPs) can be granted to bridge the gap when your Council Tax Support does not fully cover your Council Tax bill.


Available In
  • Trafford
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Information on government/council support schemes
  • Some money for an emergency
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Element, you have the option to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment to assist in covering your rent expenses.

In case you are in receipt of Council Tax Support, you can request a Discretionary Council Tax Support Payment to aid in settling your Council Tax bill. Even if you are not currently receiving Council Tax Support but were previously eligible for Council Tax Benefit, you might still be eligible for assistance.

However, we need to ensure that you are facing financial challenges and require additional support with your housing-related expenses.

Similar Schemes