Discretionary Housing Payments

St Helens Council



Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are not housing benefit payments but are additional payments to either you or your landlord to help you pay your rent.

DHPs are normally only paid for a short time to help you through a difficult period. Also, DHPs are only paid to a maximum of the actual rent that you are charged.


Available In
  • St Helens
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Information on government/council support schemes
  • Some money for an emergency
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

You can only receive a DHP if you are already getting housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit. To help us decide if you need extra help, we will look at:

  • the amount of income and or savings you have
  • if family, friends or anyone else in your household can help
  • if you have any non-priority debts and could manage your money better
  • if anyone is ill, disabled or your home has been adapted to meet a disablement need
  • if you are a foster carer or waiting for a foster placement
  • your family size and the amount of benefits you receive mean you are subject to the overall benefit cap
  • if you are at risk of becoming homeless

DHPs cannot pay for:

  • ineligible service charges
  • increases in rent due to outstanding rent arrears
  • certain sanctions and reductions in benefit

Similar Schemes