Discretionary Housing Payments

South Lakeland Council



Discretionary Housing Payments are payments, separate to Housing Benefit and Universal Credit, to help those struggling with housing costs.


Available In
  • South Lakeland
What we can help with
  • Information on government/council support schemes
  • Help with accommodation or my tenancy
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

You can apply for Discretionary Housing Payments if you receive Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and need help to:

•meet the shortfall between the Housing Benefit or Universal Credit paid and the eligible rent

•cover the cost of moving to a more affordable property

•cover rent arrears that are putting your tenancy at risk

This includes any tenants who get Housing Benefit who are affected by changes made by the government, particularly when their options for moving home or increasing their income are limited.

As we have a limited fund available, we make Discretionary Housing Payments only when we are satisfied someone needs extra financial help to meet their housing costs.

We cannot award Discretionary Housing Payments if:

•you are already getting all your eligible rent paid by benefit

•if the only shortfall is due to a previous overpayment

•you are wanting help to pay certain items that may be included in the rent that are not normally covered by Housing Benefit such as water rates, heating, lighting etc

Similar Schemes