Discretionary Housing Payments

Lancaster Council



Discretionary housing payments (DHP) are payments made by the council where it is satisfied that a person needs extra financial help with their housing costs (ie their rent).


Available In
  • Lancaster
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Information on government/council support schemes
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

Anybody receiving housing benefit or housing costs within their universal credit can make a claim, where there is a shortfall between the rent liability and the benefit awarded.

However, the DHP cannot be paid for service charges that housing benefit cannot cover, for example water rates, electricity and personal care.

We will consider a request for a DHP where a person can show that there is a genuine need for further help with their rent and where there are special circumstances to support that need. The council has complete discretion when deciding whom to make payments to.

A DHP may be claimed to pay for:

  • Rent deposits
  • Rent in advance
  • Moving costs

Please note that a person must be in receipt of housing benefit or housing costs within their universal credit at their current address in order to request a DHP for deposit, rent in advance or moving costs regarding their intended new address.

A DHP will not usually be awarded where it is considered that a rent being charged for a property is excessive or where the accommodation is too large for a person’s needs, and other suitable accommodation is available.

Similar Schemes