If the amount of Housing Benefit or the housing costs element of Universal Credit you receive does not cover your full rent, you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) to help you pay the shortfall. A DHP may also be able to help if you have an urgent need to move with no time to save for a bond for a private sector tenancy. You must be in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs in order to be considered for a DHP. Please note that awards are not guaranteed and each application is considered on its own merits.
If you need extra help towards your Council Tax you may qualify for a Council Tax Discretionary Discount.
- Available In
- What we can help with
- Help with accommodation or my tenancy
- Information on government/council support schemes
You will need to complete an online application form and we will look at your personal and financial circumstances.
Providing details including:
- Your income
- Whether you have any savings
- Whether anyone else in the house is able to help you pay your rent
- Whether you have any loans or debts still to pay
- Whether you could manage your money better to ease the situation
- Whether you or your family are ill or disabled