Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP's) help people with their rent when their housing benefit or Universal Credit housing costs payment does not meet the full value of their rent. You must be in receipt of some housing benefit or Universal Credit housing costs for an award to be made.
- Available In
- Available to Age Groups
- No Restriction
- What we can help with
- Help with accommodation or my tenancy
- Information on government/council support schemes
- Available to these Groups
- All Groups
A Discretionary Housing Payment may also be paid for one off housing costs in particular with moving to affordable accommodation if the money needed cannot be secured elsewhere:
- rent deposit (If a rent bond guarantee cannot be put in place by us)
- rent in advance (if needed to secure a tenancy - an award will not be made if you have already moved as the amount was not needed to secure the tenancy)
- removal costs (you will need to supply a quote from a removal contractor)
For a one-off payment of housing costs to be awarded you must be in receipt of housing benefit or Universal Credit housing costs.