Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)

Bolton Council



Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are short-term payments towards rent if you are suffering financial hardship.

To get a DHP you must be receiving housing benefit or universal credit which includes housing costs.

DHPs are paid from a limited budget and each request is considered on its own merits.


Available In
  • Bolton
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Help with accommodation or my tenancy
  • Information on government/council support schemes

Additional Information

DHPs can help:

  • If you are under occupying your property and your housing benefit has a reduction because of this;
  • If the rent you pay is considered too high for the property you occupy;
  • If you are single, under 35 years of age and are living in a one-bedroom flat or larger property;
  • If your benefit is being reduced because there is a non-dependant in the household; or;

Where your income is above the level the Government says you need, but you are still struggling to pay your rent.

In assessing the amount of discretionary payment and the period of the award we will consider things like:

  • the amount you get in housing benefit/universal credit and the amount of council tax you have to pay.
  • the financial and medical circumstances of you and anyone who lives with you
  • the income and expenditure of you and anyone who lives with you
  • your savings and investments and any held by anyone else living with you
  • any debts owed by you or anyone else who lives with you
  • if you have any exceptional circumstances
  • any other special situations.

Similar Schemes