Discretionary Hardship Payment (DHPs)

Copeland Council



A Discretionary Housing Payment may be awarded when other housing benefits do not provide enough money to pay the rent. Discretionary Housing Payments are not part of the normal Housing Benefit or Universal Credit schemes but are payments that may be made where extra financial support is needed.


Available In
  • Copeland
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Help with accommodation or my tenancy
  • Some money for an emergency
  • Information on government/council support schemes
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

Only residents who currently receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit with Housing Costs can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

You can claim for a Discretionary Housing Payment by:

  • completing our online form
  • requesting a claim form by contacting us
  • printing an application form and sending to us via email or posting to our Market Hall, Whitehaven office
  • getting independent advice and help from various third sector agencies including Citizens Advice.

Similar Schemes