Carers Council Tax Reduction

Bolton Council



If someone in your household is a carer, you may be able to claim a discount. 

You can claim this discount if you are a carer and: 

  • live in the same property as the person you are caring for
  • provide care for at least 35 hours per week
  • the person you're caring for is not related to you


Available In
  • Bolton
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Information on government/council support schemes
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

The person being cared for must be entitled to one of the following benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance for care at either the middle or highest rate
  • Personal Independence Payment daily living component
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions with Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Maximum Disablement Benefit with highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance.

There is no limit to the number of people that can be considered carers in a property but each carer must complete the online form.

If someone in your household is a care worker, you may be able to claim a discount.

A care worker must:

  • Voluntarily care for an elderly person or a person with a disability
  • Be paid no more than £44 per week
  • Live where the care is given or in premises provided by your employer and
  • Provide care on behalf of a local authority or charity, or be employed by the person you care for.

Similar Schemes