Bury Support Fund

Bury Council



We provide food parcels and grants to pay for gas, electricity or goods. There are two types of Support Fund payments.

Crisis payments


Re-settlement payments


Available In
  • Bury
Available to Age Groups
  • No Restriction
What we can help with
  • Help to get household items and clothing
  • Information on government/council support schemes
  • Some money for an emergency
Available to these Groups
  • All Groups

Additional Information

There are two types of Support Fund payments.

Crisis payments

Crisis payments are intended to meet one off need rather than ongoing expenses. These can help for a few days to allow you time to consider other options. Help is provided by way of food vouchers and energy vouchers for those in threat of running out of gas or electricity. You should contact your energy supplier in the first instance to see if you can get a temporary credit. Tell your supplier if you need extra support.

You may also be directed to food banks if you are struggling to buy enough food based on your circumstances. Most items are donated and can include other essential items such as toiletries and hygiene product.

If you are struggling with living costs, you can use a free Benefit and budgeting calculator.  

Re-settlement payments

These are to help people:

  • resettle into the community, because they are leaving care, supported accommodation or prison, or are fleeing domestic violence
  • stay in the community rather than entering care

Who is eligible?

Support Fund payments are discretionary. This means that even if you are eligible to apply, we may not be able to pay you any money. 

You may be able to get an award if all of the following apply. You are:

  • aged 18 or over
  • living in borough or moving into the area because you are fleeing domestic violence or because you have a connection with the borough such as family members living here
  • getting, or are expecting to get:
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)
  • Employment Support Allowance (income related)
  • Universal Credit (if you are in or out of work)
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit 

You won't be able to get a Support Fund payment if:

Make a claim

 We will try to deal with crisis payment claims within one working day. Our working hours are Monday to Friday 8.45am to 5pm. We will ring you to discuss your claim, and let you know our decision. When we ring you, it will show as an 'unknown' number. If we cannot contact you by phone, this will delay your claim.

We will try to deal with re-settlement payment claims within 10 working days. You can apply for a re-settlement payment before you move to your new address, and we will make a decision, so you can budget for your move. We will make a payment when you have signed your tenancy and decided on a moving in date.

You will be asked for evidence to support applications which may include bank statements.

Similar Schemes